Assay Office, Sheffield
Project: New Assay Office
Client: Sheffield Assay
Sheffield Assay Office was founded in 1773 to assay and hallmark silver and precious metals.
Their new building was required to allow a more efficient arrangement of its hallmarking in an air conditioned workshop and allow expansion of analytical testing in new laboratories.
The building includes formal meeting and dining rooms for the Guardians of the Assay Office, together with a library for its extensive collection. These are arranged as a series of rooms, which can opened together for conferences.
The Duke of Kent formally opened the building.