Westgate Chambers

Rotherham

Completed: January, 1970

Service: Architecture

Sector: Mixed Use

Client: HMP Bespoke Construction Limited

Scale: 76 apartments, 2550m² retail / workplace

Self Architects have designed a major scheme in the centre of Rotherham, located on an island site between Main Street, Westgate, Domine Lane and Market Street. The mixed-use project of workplace, retail and residential, involves the redevelopment of 6 buildings that surround a landscaped internal courtyard, including a superb Georgian Grade II listed building, one of the oldest surviving historic structures in the town centre. The development addresses the need for more housing, quality retail and leisure premises in the area, whilst Self Architects’ design solution mixes contemporary architecture with sensitive refurbishment.

Refurbishing & Augmented Listed Buildings

The listed Georgian building, known as the Co-op building, was originally a fine residence built in 1794 by the architect John Platt. The proposals include reinstating the "handsome" Georgian façade and renewing the shopfronts in a style complimentary to the building and in keeping with the heritage-led development of Rotherham High Street.

Renovating the current buildings will provide high quality retail, leisure and hospitality space at street level, with 29 apartments, over three floors above. Dilapidated buildings on Domine Lane are set to be demolished with access to the courtyard moved. A contemporary new building on Domine Lane provides 4,390sqft of retail/commercial space on the ground floor with 32 apartments above, all with recessed balconies.